Ep. 4 – Panel: Callback Interview Q&A
Summary: Episode 4 of the Blacklines & Billables podcast: a panel discussion on law firm callback interview tips for law students. Answering questions about Biglaw callback interviews submitted by members of the B&B community following our blog post entitled “Law Firm Interview Tips: EIW/OCI Edition” and the “Interview Q&A” Associate Intel meetup, host Christian Lang and guests Victoria Coyle and Matt Weinberg explore the dos and don’ts of Biglaw callbacks and offer opinions on common interview-related questions shaped from the experience of interviewing hundreds of candidates on behalf of top firms.
Among others, the questions include:
- What’s the most important information to learn about a law firm before and during a callback interview?
- How much research about a firm should an interviewee conduct?
- What are the best and worst things a candidate can do in a Biglaw interview?
- Is it ok for a candidate to express uncertainty about his or her professional interests in the interview?
- Should an interviewee proactively address perceived weaknesses in one’s resume or background?
- What are the best/most effective questions to ask in an interview?
- Are there any unexpectedly inadvisable fashion or attire choices?
- Given the choice, should a callback interviewee always go to lunch, and—while at an interview lunch—is there anything an interviewee should not order?
- How can one to pick the right firm among multiple offers, including balancing a sense of “fit” with firm prestige?
- Should candidates send interview thank-you notes?
- Should candidates split their summers or pursue a summer rotation to a foreign office?
The Blacklines & Billables Podcast | Exploring law firm associate success and the cutting edge of legal technology and innovation
Amid a rapidly changing market for legal services, Blacklines & Billables takes a critical look at the cutting edge of legal technology and innovation, as well as law-firm associate success and development. An avid legal technologist and former Biglaw associate in New York and London, host Christian Lang explores the promise—and pitfalls—of an evolving legal and technological landscape with leading practitioners, legal tech founders, and other thought leaders, building upon the conversations begun on the Blacklines & Billables blog.